Choosing the "right" photographer can be stressful, but it doesn't have to be.
Choosing the "right" photographer can be stressful. It's a big deal, after all—you're documenting one of the most important days of your life and you want it to be perfect. But don't worry! The good news is that choosing a photographer doesn't have to be complicated or stressful—if you know what you're looking for and understand how to communicate that with your potential photographers, it'll be smooth sailing.
The best way to start is by asking yourself some questions about what kind of style you like best, what kind of personality appeals most and how experienced the photographer needs to be in order for them to capture your day as well as possible.
Here are some things you'll want to look out for when you're looking for a wedding photographer.
- Experience. This is important, an experienced photographer can help fix any situations that could happen during your wedding. For example, one of our team members had a wedding where the bride and groom left their rings at the hotel. Our photographer already knew what to do. He took off his ring, asked for his wife's ring and loaned them to the bride and groom for the ceremony. No one ever knew it even happened. This only happens when you have an experienced photographer with you.
- Personality. You have to have a fun photographer. If you don't have a fun photographer, you're gonna regret it.
- Artistic style (if you're into it).
- A good portfolio, with lots of samples of the photographer's work and their approach to weddings and portraits alike—as well as any other kinds of photography they may be doing besides weddings (i.e., engagement photos, boudoir shots, etc.).
- Customer reviews from past clients you can check out on Google or wedding websites like The Knot or Wedding Wire—and if possible, talk to people who've had their pictures taken by the same photographers you're considering!
We hope this list will help you find the right photographer for your wedding. Don't forget to check out all of the other resources on our website!